When a boutique business wants an online store, there are a few options we suggest. Pricing for each is varied and tied to the unique benefits and drawbacks of that option. Here are the most popular choices:
- Perhaps the most robust solution for an SME (small or medium sized enterprise) would be Magento.
- It has built in shipping functionality to connect with most major shipping providers easily, along with out of the box tax, sales, coupon and other common store features.
- All sites have security risks, which must be mitigated against on an on-going basis. However, this tool manages some of those risks for those using it.
- Licensing fees (typically $5,000+) and/or enterprise monthly fees ($500-$5,000) are added to design/development costs.
WORDPRESS + WOO COMMERCE
- The most user-friendly back-end (site management) solution. (I.e.: This enables the business to have non-technical administrators add products, set up coupons, etc.).
- The world’s most popular CMS (content management system), originally used for creating blogs, but now a reliable tool for complete Web and ecommerce sites.
- Due to its popularity, there are thousands of plugins developed by third party vendors with free or low cost plug-and-play functionality add-ons (shipping, tax, events, clubs, slide shows, roll over maps, document uploaders, etc.).
- WordPress is open-source software, which means there is no additional licensing fee to use it. (I.e.: To build an ecommerce site on WordPress there is typically only the design/development cost.)
- As malicious hackers and malware (malicious software) grow more prevalent on the Web, WordPress makes frequent security upgrades and rolls them out for no additional cost.
- Many wonderful templates are available, which (if employed) can reduce design/development costs significantly.
- Sites that have customized elements may lose their custom coding upon upgrade, thereby requiring maintenance.
INDUSTRY-SPECIFIC CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (CMS)
- Industry specific content management systems (i.e.: for wineries: eWinery Solutions, eCellar, 750, etc.) will include specialized software tools to handle unique needs (i.e.: club, allocations, single bottles vs. cases, compliance, etc..)
- Typically all required software functionality can be found in one place (tools to process shipping, taxes, purchases, compliance, etc..)
- In part, monthly payments help to cover on-going costs of fighting/preventing malware and hacker attacks.
- Monthly payments (commonly $500-$8,000) are added to design/development costs.
At DigiVino, we will help you to find a solution that fits your budget, timeline, human resource availability and business objectives.